Saturday, June 12, 2010

Memorial Day in Moab means art festival


Moab was cool and it was a nice little break from the travelling because we actually stayed in the same place for more than one night. For our big day in Moab, Jeremy and Dom went on a chill rafting ride that I bowed out on because I wasn't interested in a lazy stroll down a stream (which will become ironic once I post my visit to Wisconsin where I thoroughly enjoyed a lazy stroll down a stream). Not to worry though, Moab is a cool little town that happened to be having a music and arts festival.


(part of an Afro-Brazil dance group, pretty cool. It mixes music, martial arts and dance. It was a style of dance slaves used to practice fighting without letting the slave-owners realize what they were doing, to get more information than you would ever want check out www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira, or simply check out the youtube link at the end to see it in action).

After checking out the festival and walking around a bit I met up with Jeremy and Dom and we grabbed some dinner while watching the Lakers play some ball (Western Conference Finals v. the Suns, a close close-out victory to send the Lakes to the Finals).

The next day we headed out to Arches National Park where we went on a couple of short hikes, including visiting the most famous landmark in Arches. The whole area is pretty cool, including "the delicate arches." Unfortunately my camera ran out of juice at this point and I only have a couple pics of the arch and lack pics of some of the other cool stuff we saw. Like Bryce Canyon, it felt like being in a whole different world.






Arches also marked the end of my travelling with Doll (Dom and Hall) until reaching Chicago where we were able to hang out a little bit more. For the next few days of the trip I would be travelling solo.




Next stop Colorado, special guests - my bro and his lovely bride.
















This is a special bonus prize for you committed readers (or readers who should be committed - ha ha). Kate MacLeod, who also graced the Moab music and arts festival with some good ole folk.










No comments:

Post a Comment